Communication and Administrative Coordinator (Part-time)
Kol Ami, the Northern Virginia Reconstructionist Community, seeks an energetic and personable self-starter to serve 15 hours per week in a key outreach and administrative capacity for our congregation. The Coordinator will serve as a focal point for members and prospective members and interact routinely with our rabbi, host facility, and volunteer leaders.
You’re Right for This Job If:
- You’re an excellent communicator, both verbally and in writing, with demonstrated social media and WordPress experience to manage updates to our website and grow awareness of our congregation through platforms like Facebook, NextDoor, and MeetUp.
- You’ve got graphic design experience and can create flyers and weekly e-newsletters that promote activities in the congregation and the wider Jewish community.
- You take pride in service to the Jewish community and, being familiar with Jewish traditions and local community resources, enjoy making good things happen.
- You’re seeking an opportunity to work from home part-time and serve a small, diverse and egalitarian Jewish congregation that’s continuing to grow.
- You’re a people person who enjoys exercising good judgment while being part of a cohesive and dedicated team.
- You’re well organized, detail-oriented, flexible, and have good time management skills.
- You’re self-motivated and diligent.
- You would enjoy attending some of our services and community events, so as to get to know our members and fully understand the various aspects of community life.
What You’ll Do
- Maintain Kol Ami’s Primary Relationship with the Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington:
- Communicate our ongoing need for space for services, classes and community gatherings, reserving rooms, arranging logistics, and tracking associated costs
- Collaborate with counterparts at the Church, apprising Kol Ami members of relevant information such as any planned construction or repairs, Church events that will take up parking, changes to emergency procedures, etc.
- Coordinate any joint events with the Church or other community groups
2. Coordinate Kol Ami’s Internal Communications and Community Outreach Activities:
- Maintain and update the Kol Ami website
- Maintain and update Kol Ami’s facebook page, boosting posts and searching for innovative ways to expand our visibility and “likes”
- Expand Kol Ami’s outreach through NextDoor, MeetUp, and other appropriate online platforms and more traditional marketing venues
- Write, compile and circulate the weekly and monthly e-newsletter collecting input from members, leadership and the wider Jewish community
- Create flyers, banners, and ad copy promoting congregational events, making copies as needed
3. Administer Essential Tasks for Kol Ami:
- In coordination with volunteer leaders and committee chairs, develop the annual calendar of events, proceeding to update and maintain it, ensuring that all events are properly listed
- Maintain and update the member database
- Order supplies for our storage closet housed at the Church, and maintain records of those supplies
- Reconcile costs in coordination with Kol Ami’s Treasurer
- Coordinate the response to inquiries from prospective new members
- Create and mail thank-you notes to those who donate to the shul
4. Contribute to Obtaining Grants for Kol Ami:
- Research relevant grant opportunities, highlighting these for the volunteer leadership
- Remind volunteers of grant application deadlines
- Assist in writing/editing grant applications
- Track the submission of grant applications
- Coordination with Leadership:
- Given the value of these responsibilities, the Communication and Administrative Coordinator will be available to hold weekly calls with Kol Ami’s president and rabbi and participate in monthly meetings with the Steering Committee.
- The Coordinator may, from time to time, need to attend meetings with the Church, outside Jewish organizations, security personnel (in conjunction with Kol Ami’s security team), or other parties concerning relevant matters.
- The Coordinator is encouraged to participate in services and other Kol Ami activities to get to know our membership and culture.
Salary and Benefits
This position pays $22/hour. The successful candidate may also be eligible for an additional bonus at the discretion of the Steering Committee. Kol Ami, the Northern Virginia Reconstructionist Community, is an equal opportunity employer.
Application and Start Date
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and acknowledged within 48 hours of receipt. You may inquire at 703-244-4916 if you have not received confirmation of receipt or if you have questions.
The person selected will begin her/his work as Coordinator on or about April 1, 2019.